ustwo Australia is looking for a new Design Director to join our amazing Sydney studio!
As Design Director, you’ll be leading an incredible team of super talented and diverse designers, delivering amazing and meaningful products to our clients and partners. To ensure that our growing team is properly supported, we’re looking for someone with the skill set and experience to lead the way. You will bring your own unique value and will work together with the team to ensure the development and success of individuals, the team, and the design discipline.
You will be a member of the local leadership team, with whom you’ll be leading the studio, both operationally and strategically.
Besides your day-to-day responsibilities of managing a team of 14 designers, 2 of which will be direct reports (at lead level), you’ll be contributing to both the studio and design team’s strategic direction. You will be able to provide craft leadership within the studio, gravitas with clients, and commercial prowess to win and lead new business (pitches and proposals), direction on client engagements (20-50%) as well as capitalize on your existing network in the local market.
You'll encourage and ensure world-class design execution by facilitating collaboration between designers, disciplines, and teams. Setting the benchmark for quality and best practices, you’ll help steer designers to execute in a fast-moving environment. You will also be an ambassador for the ustwo values both internally and externally and show-deep care for the wellbeing of the ustwobies in the design team.
- Highly passionate. You care deeply about fostering design in a user-centered and interdisciplinary client service environment. You have an understanding of the digital product and service landscape and take an active interest in new technologies.
- Collaborative. You believe in the power of teams and understand the importance of facilitation, involvement, and transparency. You are self-driven but you will foster a tight-knit team which grows together, where sharing knowledge and experience is second nature.
- An excellent communicator and story-teller. Whether it’s about people, design or product, you bring a positive energy into any conversation and are able to get those around you excited around a shared purpose. You have an outstanding ability to develop, articulate and explain ideas so that others (including clients) comprehend them, love them and buy into them.
- A servant leader who is caring, empathetic, humble mentor and a coach. You care about looking for opportunities for people to grow, helping them overcome challenges, and helping nurture the people in the design team to become leaders in the future.
- Commercially savvy. You understand how to achieve commercial objectives without undermining the quality of our work. You understand our competitive landscape and know how to keep us differentiated in our offering. You identify opportunities and see the potential in any project or client engagement. You bring a network of existing senior relationships in Sydney and beyond.
- A change maker. You enjoy change, problem-solving, and thrive in fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous environments, creating clarity and runway for our teams to do their best work. You’re passionate about learning and experimenting and are not afraid to learn from your failures.
If this sounds exciting, you've got what it takes to be an ustwobie! Keep reading...
IDEALLY, YOU HAVE...
- 10+ years experience in your field (design, product, technology or consulting) and 5+ years experience in a senior design leadership role leading teams with sales, client, and creative output responsibility on engagements. Candidates from strategy, product or design backgrounds will be considered.
- Experience with design in an agency/consulting/client services context (resourcing, working models, craft leadership within projects, etc.)
- A solid foundation in design craft and design thinking with a deep specialization in UX, design strategy, visual design or another aspect of the craft
- Experience in design ownership/leadership across multiple teams and projects
- Interest and participation in professional industry groups, conferences, speaking engagements, publications or teaching
- Experience with sales and growing business with existing clients
- The ability to nurture talent, facilitate career growth and personal development
- A good sense of humour!
Above anything we are a people centred company that strives to create the best opportunities for the best people in the industry. We just so happen to have an amazing studio space and great tools for learning and sharing.
We offer a competitive package, including:
- Company wide profit sharing platform
- Generous training and development budget
- Paid training days
- Paid parental leave policy for primary and secondary caregivers
- Fortnightly catered lunches
- Quarterly socials
- Monthly chair massages
- Wide variety of snacks and bevvies
25 days holiday are offered as standard, inclusive of studio closure days over xmas.
We also promote flexible working days.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
ustwo is committed to making a measurable positive impact on people's everyday lives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We believe diverse teams help us make better products and actively hire for cultural growth. We welcome people of all ages, stories and backgrounds. We provide everyone with equal access to professional development.
Curious to know what it's like to work at ustwo?Why ustwo?